When you reach out to a freelance proofreader or editor, it can be difficult to know where to start. Do you need an editor? If so, which services do you need? You might feel overwhelmed, which is why we at Literary Edits have decided to break down our services and make them easier to understand.
Do You Need a Proofreader/Editor?
If you’re wondering whether you could benefit from our proofreading or editing services, you probably do. Anyone who uses the written word to communicate can improve or validate their writing by working with an outside party, including authors, students, academics, businesses, and bloggers.
Mistakes are a natural part of the writing process. No matter how often you check your writing for typing errors, consistency issues, and instances of repetition, the occasional mistake may escape your attention. This is where we come in: we will spot the mistakes that you missed, helping you to reach your writing potential.
Which Editing Services Do You Need?
If you have decided to work with a proofreader or editor, you need to work out which service best suits your needs. Literary Edits offers two main editing services: proofreading and copyediting. To help you decide which of these services you would benefit from, we have summarised how they differ from one another.
Our proofreading services are ideal for most writers. They spot the mistakes that you may have missed, correcting spelling and grammatical errors before they can distract your readers. We recommend these services for all types of writers, but particularly for students, academics, businesses, and bloggers.
- For Businesses & Bloggers: Typing errors can distract readers from your website. They give the impression you have not taken the time to proofread your work, which can overshadow the information, products, or services, you offer.
- For Students & Academics: In academic essays, papers, and dissertations, typing errors can invalidate arguments. This can cause students to lose marks, and academics to lose credibility.
- For Authors: Proofreading can also benefit authors. If you believe your writing does not need thorough editing, but would benefit from someone spotting and correcting spelling and grammar mistakes, this service would be ideal for you.
Our copyediting services are for those writers who want a more thorough level of assistance. We offer these services to authors, short story writers, and playwrights. They include the spelling and grammatical checks offered in our proofreading services, but they will also ensure your writing is clear, consistent, and free from repetition. We will reword sections of text with awkward phrasing, check that any names, details, and facts are accurate, and also check for style consistency. This means we will ask questions such as:
- Are you writing in British English or American English? It is important not to switch between the two.
- Are you using the Oxford comma? If so, are you using it throughout your writing?
- Is your tone consistent? If you have a casual style, it should remain casual throughout. This can also be applied to a book’s characters: are their voices consistent throughout the narrative?